WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Overall, what is your reaction to Zack's answers in part II
It improved my opinion of how Snyder is handling the film. I'm excited - now more than ever before. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
It didn't change my opinion. I knew Snyder was doing a good job. 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
It didn't change my opinion, but I'm still on the fence about Snyder in general. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
It didn't change my opinion. I still feel Snyder will deliver a poor adaptation. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
It lessened my opinion of how Snyder is handling the film. I'm more worried now that he's going to screw it up. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:13 pm 
The Watcher

Watchmen movie director give answers to fan questions about the “Black Freighter,” Rorschach’s mask, the soundtrack, and more…
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/021408-zack-snyder-watchmen-interview.php

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:25 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Good to hear that Veidt's costume hasn't been substantially changed, and also good news about the Black Freighter. Definitely more meaty than the first one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:27 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

absolutely amazing! all great answers!
Total Film said on Snyder: "he's the fan every fan wishes he was"
the last answer was the best of all and proves this...
snyder intends to change superhero movies the way the book changed comic books.
Now that's what I've wanted all along.
Also hint of Black Freighter to make it into the main movie? Please say it works Snyder!

lol now i'm not so worried about the costumes - he'll be making fun of batman lmao!

great work ddc! much thanks to you, curi, snyder and WB!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:30 pm 
Watchmaker

Great to hear about the Inkblot emotion. That should look beautiful on the screen. And once more, this was an awesome Q&A.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:48 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Rorsach wrote:
Great to hear about the Inkblot emotion. That should look beautiful on the screen. And once more, this was an awesome Q&A.

Yeah, the part about Rorschach was probably the best part of the Q&A.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:04 pm 
New Frontiersman

For the most part, those were great answers. The only thing that bugged me was Snyder's ideas about the fight scenes. The style he used in "300" worked well for that material, but I always saw the violence in "Watchmen" as more of what you would get if Scorsese made a comic book movie: gritty, dirty, realistic.

But, other than that, I'm pleased. And the fight scenes were never a big deal for me in the comic, so however they are done in the movie won't be too significant for me either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:38 pm 
The Watcher

BTW, the photo on the home page next to the story was the one I managed to get from WB. I tried for something jucier, but, no luck. Sorry, dudes. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:39 pm 
Watchmaker

DoomsdayClock wrote:
BTW, the photo on the home page next to the story was the one I managed to get from WB. I tried for something jucier, but, no luck. Sorry, dudes. :cry:

His turned forward hat makes up for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:48 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

floydtheater07 wrote:
For the most part, those were great answers. The only thing that bugged me was Snyder's ideas about the fight scenes. The style he used in "300" worked well for that material, but I always saw the violence in "Watchmen" as more of what you would get if Scorsese made a comic book movie: gritty, dirty, realistic.

But, other than that, I'm pleased. And the fight scenes were never a big deal for me in the comic, so however they are done in the movie won't be too significant for me either.

Well I liked how Zack filmed his action scenes in "Dawn Of The Dead"... a lot. He took sort of an opposite approach from what he did in "300".

Zombies get clobbered so brutally, but these moments are shot and cut so quickly but the camera doesn't always focus on the violence nor exaggerate it, and a lot of it happens so peripherally... and it still doesn't feel like "Attention Deficit Moviemaking". A great example is a car wreck early in the film that's almost in the background, but the camera doesn't draw its attention to what the main character is doing. Other scenes come off as so brutal because of what you DON'T see.

(whoa, I just realized it took me this long to reach my 100th post?!)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:26 pm 
Vigilante

The Veidt Method wrote:
Good to hear that Veidt's costume hasn't been substantially changed, and also good news about the Black Freighter. Definitely more meaty than the first one.

That's what my (unanswered) question involved, I was worried Veidt would look too much like a villain straight off. I'm relieved to know my worries weren't true. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:28 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I like what he has to say on the Black Freighter. Sounds to me like it could go either way, but he's not going to try half-assing it with some attempt at a compromise.

It's funny to me how he snuck the word "fetishized" into his answer about the costumes. Very nice. He also stated point-blank that the characters in Watchmen will serve as commentary toward superheroes, so he deserves credit for understanding that much.

I wish Snyder had elaborated more about the "philosophy" for scoring that he devised with Bates. Still, the scoring is usually the last thing to go into a film, so it doesn't surprise me that Snyder wasn't ready to comment on it. Oh, and I can't wait to hear the songs in Watchmen played in context.

The answer to TK8103's question is fascinating. It's delightful to see how much detail Snyder put into that response. Using CGI, the face blots in the graphic novel and JEH's performance to bring the mask onscreen. Fascinating. Of course, many have already tried assigning facial characteristics to the inkblots, but to my knowledge, nobody still knows for sure what face goes to which blot... except maybe Dave Gibbons. Might he have helped with making those assignments?

Oh, and I wouldn't worry yet about the fight scenes being shot 300-style. Snyder just said that he wanted to "make sure that the action is cool." That could mean a lot of things. There are a ton of cinematic tricks that could go into making fight scenes that "look cool."

I'm also glad to hear that Snyder brought on the 300 fight coordinator. I've heard of directors that always use the same fight/stunt coordinators and it seems to make everything go a lot smoother. Besides that, the fights in 300 may not have been shot terribly well, but they were choreographed superbly.

Finally, to DD: Thanks for trying, partner. Still, this really is Zack Snyder's event. He's the guy in the limelight here. I'm not at all surprised that we couldn't get a new production still, though that would've been nice. Again, thanks anyway.

For my wrap-up of the event, click here.

EDIT: Re: BunnyCritters. Yes, there were questions about individual characters. Nite Owl, Ozymandias and Doc Manhattan, mostly. Still, I thought there were enough unanswered questions about the costumes that it would be best to put up a question about all of them.

And yes, I'm glad that he's apparently leaving Ozzy well enough alone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:48 pm 
New Frontiersman

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Of course, many have already tried assigning facial characteristics to the inkblots, but to my knowledge, nobody still knows for sure what face goes to which blot... except maybe Dave Gibbons. Might he have helped with making those assignments?

I guess not:

ST: Was it hard trying to express Rorschach's moods using only his mask?

DG: It was really his body language that gave his mood and the reader's own projection based on the dialogue. Even with the mask off, I largely left his face immobile...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:56 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
I guess not:

ST: Was it hard trying to express Rorschach's moods using only his mask?

DG: It was really his body language that gave his mood and the reader's own projection based on the dialogue. Even with the mask off, I largely left his face immobile...
Well, it was a thought. Thanks for that, Writer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:24 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Ehhhhhh I wish I hadn't read that. That's less reassured me, more worried me, especially that bit about the action. The worst thing you can do is go into action and try to make it look cool. If it isn't organic, then it's going to come off ugly and contrived. I don't even want him to reference 300 when he talks about it. It should be as far away from 300 as possible; those slo-mo sequences were godawful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:43 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Kingmob wrote:
The worst thing you can do is go into action and try to make it look cool. If it isn't organic, then it's going to come off ugly and contrived.
Who's to say, then, that "organic" fight scenes don't "look cool?" And nowhere in Snyder's response did I hear him say that he was going to shoot the action sequences as he shot them for 300. As a matter of fact, he said that the fight scenes for Watchmen would "probably not as extreme in its use of variable speed as 300." To me, this means that the technique will be far more subtle, if it's used at all.

Kingmob wrote:
I don't even want him to reference 300 when he talks about it. It should be as far away from 300 as possible; those slo-mo sequences were godawful.
I agree with you that the variable speed was overdone and the angles were garish at times. Still, those are cinematography problems. The fight choreography -- how the weapons were used, how the punches were thrown, who died when and how -- that was awesome.

So, the fight scenes will be choreographed by the same guy that did 300. That's great. The cinematographer, on the other hand, will be Larry Fong... who was also the cinematographer for 300.

:shock: *gulp*

Well, here's hoping he won't make the same mistake twice. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:26 pm 
Vigilante

The only part of the Q&A that I found really exciting is that Snyder intends to use songs referenced in the novel in the film. I'm really hoping to hear "Neighborhood Threat" by Iggy Pop in Watchmen (It's the song playing on the Knot Tops Boom box in Chapter I on Dan's walk home from Hollis'). I always pictured it playing in that scene (obviously) and also as Hollis Mason gets stomped to death by the Knot Tops.

Last edited by trenchpirate87 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:36 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I agree with you that the variable speed was overdone and the angles were garish at times. Still, those are cinematography problems...

I'll wave my "I'm no fan of 300, but..." card here again, but my criticisms of it have more to do with Frank Miller than anyone else's work. I walked out wishing that Snyder had the chance to adapt "The Dark Knight Returns" instead. (Although what studio would have the budget or the balls?) Since it was so rooted in Miller's aesthetic, perhaps Mr. Fong was just working within the parameters of that style as best as he could.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:16 pm 

I for one loved the cinematography of 300
but yeah itd feel out of place...
lol imagine if dan and laurie are walking down an alley when SUDDENLY a gang of Persians attack!
"Laurie, tonight we dine in hell. Or I think it may be called Dante's, I'm not quite sure."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:22 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

AYBGerrardo wrote:
ol imagine if dan and laurie are walking down an alley when SUDDENLY a gang of Persians attack!

I know you're joking, but I really hope that scene with the knot tops is not in slow motion. In fact, the only scene that should be in slow motion is when the Comedian is thrown out of his window.

AYB, incidentally, good seeing you in action. Like old times. What brought you out of retirement? Taking Snyder's Q&A seriously at last? ;)

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:53 pm 

:lol:

lol yeah couldn't resist poppin in for the q&a, plus i couldn't sit back and ignore the damn fox news!
yeah slowmo comedian's not a bad plan....maybe they could change the speed he falls at? smashes through window slow, falls fast, lands slow? ;)